Sunday, April 19, 2009

April 19, 2009

Megan is 27 years old and 30 weeks pregnant tomorrow. For the past 4-6 weeks she has been seeing a doctor for a lump on the side of her neck. She also was experiencing some nausea, night sweats, and chest pressure. The doctors told her that best case scenario it was an abscess and worse case scenario that it was lymphoma. On Monday the 13 of April she went to her second day of work as a Science teacher at a school in Claremont. Right after work her mom took her to the doctors office. At the doctors they found that her heart rate was extremely high and they told her to go to the emergency room. The first xray they gave her in the ER they told her that there was something going on inside of her. She was then admitted to the hospital.
Since being in the hospital she has had a needle biopsy, core biopsy, ultra sound and x ray of her heart, lymph node extraction, chest tube to drain the fluid around her heart, and a bone marrow biopsy.
The preliminary results have shown that there are several small masses and one large 11 cm mass of Hodgkinslymphoma. The current results reveal that she is at stage two. The final results of the bone marrow biopsy will reveal a more precise stage.
We are waiting for the second opinion from the City of Hope on the confirmation of the Hodgkins Lymphoma, Megan will be starting chemo on Tuesday.

Despite all of these things. The baby has not been effected she has strong heart beats and is doing well. They monitor the baby twice a day. She is fully developed and if for some reason she had to be delivered today they said she would be fine.

God has answered all the prayers that Megan has been praying for! We prayed that it would be Hodgkins lymphoma because it is the best one to have and the most responsive to chemo therapy and God has kept the baby healthy.

The chemo plan is to do two treatments which will occur over a four week period. The chemo is safe for the baby. Our goal is to deliver at 34 weeks.

Megan would like you to know that the LORD has provided many Christian nurses and doctors. She would like to thank you for all of your prayers because the LORD is faithful and He has been listening to our crys and answering them in His timing. God has been giving her peace and comfort. Being sick has always been something that Megan has not liked. She says she has been so blessed to have a peace that passes all understanding. She says that even in the hard moments of being here in the Hospital she is able to feel His presence around her.

We appreciate all your prayers...please keep talking to GOD!!!! we all are...

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

5 comments:

  1. I love this blog! Megan...excellent job! I am glad to see that you are feeling good enough to be on the computer. Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be praying for you Megan. My husband and I both attended Ayala and actually I guess he had some classes with you. PLEASE let us know if there is any way that we can help out. Meals, babysitting, cleaning your house, ect. I am more than happy to do anything that would help. God is with you and I know that He will get you through this. Hang in there!!!

    The Tello Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...

    I found your blog through my daughter and son-in-law, Krystyn and Tommy Tello. My husband was diagnosed with HL Stage 3B in October and will have his 11th of 12 treatments tomorrow. We have made a few online friends, one of whom was pregnant when diagnosed, and now the proud Momma of a ten month old girl...despite chemo! I'm glad to see you have support from your husband and Mom. Keep your chin up and your eyes toward heaven! We will be praying for you each and every day. Please feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions. For us, it's been nice to be able to talk with someone who has been there, done that ahead of us and can provide some insight. My husband and I wish you all the very best.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sorry...one more thing. I wanted to suggest you check out www.caringbridge.org It is a great venue for keeping your family and friends up to date with your progress. It automatically sends out updates when you update your journal. Take good care!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan, I noticed you plan to deliver around 34 weeks. I just want you to know I waited until 36 weeks. I had 4 treatments beforehand. The risk of inducing too early is having a c-section which will postpone treatment because you will need to heal and the chemo will supress your immune system. I was almost 37 weeks by the time she came (it took 3 days)...just a thought for you. My docs did not want me to have a c-section because its important to stay on track with the ABVD as best as possible. I had chemo the thursday before I delivered, delivered on the following wed and was back to chemo the following thursday, so no breaks for me! It was hard but I managed! Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete